Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Day 3 - On the Loose

This is late because I did not have an internet connection and Arda and I had other things to do…
Today was a travel day. I left Goldminers RV Park early in the AM and drove about 2 hours to the ghost town of Steins, NM where I met up with our friend Tom. This ghost town was a mining town built on the railroad line (not sure which came first – the town or the RR?) and was purchased about 5 years ago for $120,000 with the intent of restoring it and then opening it to tourists. Unfortunately the mine produced a lot of mercury so this had to be cleaned up before anything else… this is still in progress so who knows when it will be opened. The picture on the left is one of an original building that is still standing.
Next it was off to meet Arda. I actually met her several times as I passed her and then would wait for her if there was something of interest. As you can see, we both made it to the Continental divide… boy that was a hard climb! We met again in Silver City where everyone sat around in the parking lot telling stories and imbibing in a few refreshments before a delicious dinner that Linda cooked. Once again I learned a couple of things.
First I stand corrected. Mary Kay set me straight about the reference in a previous day about “relieving oneself by the guardrail”. It is actually called “Mary Kay’s Guardrail Tinkle Technique” (no pics folks - HA!). So now all Wrangler Dave readers know the rest of the story.

The second thing I learned was how to sing and dance the “beaver” (NO I was not a party to this shall we say activity). Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures (shame on me) and the women are really happy about that. If you are really interested in learning more, I am sure Sue Elliot will be more than happy to provide all the info you want and more.
That is all I am writing about in today’s log…

Temperature = 77

No comments: